A Face mask is an important skin care product and also my favourite. They’re easy to apply, fun to use and are great at delivering results. My favourite thing about applying a good face mask is the feeling of tightened and toned skin after a single use. If your skin is stressed out, you will begin to notice that it looks tired and maybe even a bit red and puffy. A great way to relax stressed skin and give it a healthier glow is to use a face mask that is designed to release stress and reduce swelling.
Should everyone use a face mask? Absolutely. Face masks are the perfect skin care treatment to help you with your skin care concerns. Here are five reasons why.
- Deep Cleansing
- Unclog Pores
- Glowing Skin
- Helps your overall regimen
Here are some DIY face masks to get your face looking like perfection in no time without breaking the bank.
BRIGHTENING LEMON AND TURMERIC FACE MASK
This mask is not only brightening but it’s great for acne-prone skin (or any skin!) and bringing you a glowy complexion.
Benefits of Turmeric:
1. Reduces redness
2. Treats breakouts
3. Helps with age spots
4. Reduces scarring and hyperpigmentation
5. Helps to heal psoriasis and eczema
6. Brightens and tones
Using fresh turmeric would be better. It is known to stain so be sure to wear a shirt you don’t care about and dry your face with a dark towel.
Lemon is high in vitamin C which is essential for brightening and evening out skin tone. It’s anti-bacterial which is especially helpful for breakouts and acts as a natural exfoliant for radiance. Lemon is known to help with acne scars too. Don’t worry, this mask doesn’t sting at all as lemon juice tends to do that.. but it feels soothing and balancing on the skin.
How to apply:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Combine both the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Apply over the sink, on a clean face.
- Leave mask on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off gently with warm water.
- You may need to wash your face a couple times to remove the yellow tint.
EGG WHITE FACE MASK
I love using face masks made from food. I use it about once a week because it’s amazing the way it makes my skin feel and look!
Why is egg white good for your skin?
Egg white is beneficial to skin because it not only helps tighten and tone the skin, but it aides in shrinking large pores which reduces the surplus of sebum. Sebum is the substance that makes the skin oily and this protects the skin, but you don’t want to have too much of it – if hair follicles get too much sebum and cells from dead skin, bacteria grows resulting in acne.
The egg whites also adds the nutrient, magnesium, that helps put the brakes on skin aging and gives your skin a youthful glow!
How to apply:
1. First wash face with warm water – this allows your pores to open up
2. Break egg, separating white from yoke with the shell (passing yoke back and forth into shell halves) or some people like to separate it in their hand and let white drip through their fingers in to the bowl.
3. With your hands all clean, apply the egg white to your face, but make sure you don’t get any in your eyes or mouth.
4. Let the egg white dry for at least 15 minutes. I like to fan my face to speed up the drying process. You will feel the mask tighten as it dries.
5. Use warm water gently to get the mask off.
After you remove the mask, your skin will feel clean and refreshed!
COFFEE AND HONEY FACE MASK
Sipping a cup of Coffee is an important part of daily regime for many. Coffee is cherished for its ability to refresh a person from inside. Similarly, coffee has a great role to play in refreshing the skin from outside too. Coffee has the potentiality to solve skin problems in no time. It has many anti-oxidants that function against skin damage. It plays a great role in reducing the puffiness under the eyes. Coffee can also be a great exfoliator. It has the ability to penetrate deep into the pores and remove the impurities, which other exfoliators could not do. Coffee can also make the tan disappear from skin. This will prove to be a perfect mask for all skin types
Is Coffee Mask Good for Skin:
1. Coffee has the ability to increase the blood circulation, which will provide you with a healthy skin.
2. Coffee possess the antioxidants that is required for the skin, this will leave your skin clean and clear.
3. Your skin can defend itself from the harmful UV rays and escape from skin damage.
4. You can feel for yourself how smooth your skin has turned out after using this pack
5. Also, the dimpling on your skin will get reduced.
How to apply:
- 1 tbsp of coffee powder
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Mix the ingredients well in a bowl to make a fine paste
- Now, apply this pack on the face and spread it on the skin.
- Gently massage in circular motions.
- Let it remain on the skin for 20 minutes and
- Then rinse it off.
POTATO AND HONEY FACE MASK
Using potato on your skin in any form may sound a little weird to you but potato juice is a great moisturizer for dry skin and other skin types too. It helps to hydrate the skin and also make it soft and supple. It contains vitamin A, C, B which helps to reduce premature ageing on your face and also avoid wrinkles and pigmentation that develop as the skin ages. It also lightens the scars and acne spots. Potatoes are natural anti-ageing agents and hence considered one of the best in treating skin problems.
Honey, just as potato juice too has skin lightening and brightening effects as it contains natural bleaching agents. This treatment can be used as a toner, as an overnight treatment, as a face mask, as face mist etc.
How to apply:
- teaspoon of honey
- 1-2 tbsps of potato juice
- Firstly, you need to make fresh potato juice, for that- grate a small potato after peeling off the skin.
- Add 1 teaspoon of water into the grated potato and mix it well.
- Put everything into a muslin cloth and squeeze out all the water thoroughly. This is your potato juice. Use the potato residue in your food.
- Now, in a bowl, add in 1-2 tablespoons of potato juice and pour in 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Give the solution a very good mix making sure the honey is well dissolved. With a cotton ball or small brush, apply the mixture on your face avoiding under eye area.
- Let it sit for good 30 minutes.
- The face might feel sticky but this is a good sign.
- Rinse off the product and pat dry.
- Use a good quality moisturizer and you are done.
MINT AND YOGURT FACE MASK
Mint Leaves act a great healer for pimples/acne. Its external application helps to fade away the acne scars and internal intake purifies the blood and reduces acne re-occurrence. External application of crushed mint leaves can lighten the acne/scar. The vitamin A element helps in controlling the excessive oil that the skin produces which results in acne. It tones up the skin & removes the blackheads instantly. Mint leaves also help in fighting against various bacterial infections including acne as it is also formed due to bacteria. Consumption of mint purifies the blood which in turn removes impurities such as pimples /acne.
Yogurt helps fade blemishes and corrects uneven pigmentation because of its lactic acid content. Lactic acid removes the topmost layer of skin, which promotes the growth of new skin cells. This effectively reduces the appearance of pigmentation.
How to apply:
- Mint Paste
- Mix the two ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply well on your skin.
- Wash it off with cold water after 30 minutes.
Apply it once a week for effective results. This face mask is very effective for people with sunburnt skin which often result in redness and sometimes, blisters. Using yogurt mixed with mint can help heal the sunburned areas.
Top Tips for a happy Face Mask experience
Beauty Tip 1: Before applying your face mask, dab a small amount of eye gel or eye cream around the eyes. This will help to protect this very delicate area from dehydration.
Beauty Tip 2: When your face mask has dried and it’s time to come off, simply place a warm, wet washcloth over your face and hold it onto your skin for a few seconds. Repeat this a few times to help loosen up and dissolve the face mask from your skin. This tip will make the rinsing off process much easier and gentler for your skin.
Also, make sure before you use the face mask that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. You can do a patch test to ensure that you have no adverse reactions. To make the face mask, just mix the ingredients together until they form a thick paste. Apply the paste to your face using a circular upward motion and allow it to set for at least 30 minutes. Wash your face with warm water and gently scrub in a circular motion while doing so to get the exfoliating effects. Follow up with a moisturizer or whatever you typically use after your beauty masks.
Everyone should introduce masking into their skin care regimen, if they haven’t done so already. For just a few (relaxing) minutes a day, your skin will go through a noticeable transformation that you can see and feel. You may look silly doing it, but that makes it all the more fun.
If you liked/disliked anything in particular leave a message/suggestion below.
Contact Us for collaborations.