Admit it you guys, I did too. Sometimes we’re just being lazy, and we can’t always find what we’re looking for. So today, I’m gonna help you put a stop to your chaos and teach you how to make a place where you can put all your little things, that’s right, a DIY organizer.. So, get rest from the busy working day and give a little time to create. Creation is the best way to get relaxed and in the same time do something useful.
Materials to make this DIY Organizer:
- Hand saw
- Sand paper
- Wood glue
- Painter’s tape
Measure and mark out the pieces for your desk organizer with a ruler and pencil. Then cut them out with a hand saw.
You’ll need to cut 8 pieces in total for the sides, back, base, pencil holder and divider. See the image above for all the pieces and their corresponding sizes below.
Of course, you’re more than welcome to come up with your own measurements to create an organizer that’s exactly to your liking, but if you’re unsure about the numbers, just follow along with the ones mentioned below.
- PIECE A, side of pencil holder: 3 inches wide x 3.5 inches tall (74mm wide x 90mm tall)
- PIECE B, side of pencil holder: 3 inches wide x 3.5 inches tall (74mm wide x 90mm tall)
- PIECE C, front of pencil holder: 3.5 inches wide x 3.5 inches tall (90mm wide x 90mm tall)
- PIECE D, base of desk organiser: 13 inches wide x 3.5 inches tall (330mm wide x 90mm tall)
- PIECE E, back of desk organiser: 13inches wide x 3.5 inches tall (330mm wide x 90mm tall)
- PIECE F, central divider: 9.5 inches wide x 2.5 inches tall (240mm wide x 65mm tall)
- PIECE G, front of desk organiser: 9.5 inches wide x 1.5 inches tall (240mm wide x 40mm tall)
- PIECE H, side of desk organiser: 3.5 inches wide x 3.75 inches tall (90mm wide x 98mm tall)
(Please note: please adjust your measurements according to the quality of your wood and the size that you require.)
Once all your pieces have been cut, give the edges a quick sand.
Begin by getting Pieces A, B and C together (refer to the image in Step 1 to see which piece is which).
Glue Pieces A and B (the narrower pieces) to Piece C as shown below to form a ‘U’ shape. This will eventually be the pencil holder part of your desk organizer.
Apply glue to the bottom edge of the ‘pencil holder’ section and affix it to Piece D (which is the base of your desk organiser). Make sure the front of the pencil holder is flush with the front edge of Piece D.
Get Piece E (the back of your desk organizer), apply some glue to the bottom edge and stick it in place.
Apply glue to one of the long edges on Piece F (which is the central divider) and attach it to the middle of the base of your desk organizer as shown below.
Then affix Piece G to the front of your desk organizer so that it’s flush with the front of the pencil holder section.
Finally, attach Piece H to the side of your desk organizer to close off the open end.
Apply painter’s tape all the way around the top edges of your organizer to protect the sides from paint. Make sure the tape is well stuck down, then paint the edges in your chosen colour.
Once the paint is dry, remove the tape and your desk organizer is complete!
I hope you liked this DIY Organizer and I hope you guys will surely try making it.
Got any ideas? Share with us in the comment section.
Contact Us for collaborations.